Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Part Seven

This story, though fictional, is based on first person accounts. Great effort has been made to accurately reflect the reality of life of a prisoner in a North Korean detention camp.

Dear Hannah ,

I see now that Jesus has been speaking to my heart since I was a child. He was in my mother...how I miss her...her sweet face, her sweet voice, her peace. He was in Mi-kyoung...my dear friend. He was in the guard...my angel. He was in the prison cell after my interrogation...my healer. Yes, He has been with me...always.

I have shared with you my life as a prisoner in Camp 14. You may think that after so much suffering my life would be impossible to bear. In many ways it is, but even though I am locked in a cell at night and closely guarded as I labor in the fields during the day, I am free. No one can take away the joy that Jesus has brought to my heart.

Life still is difficult. Food is scant. My cell is dark and cold in the winter and stifling hot in the summer, but I now talk to Jesus. I ask Him for the strength to live one more day. I also have found small ways to show kindness to the other prisoners. And, as I look at the prison guards, I no longer feel fear or hatred. I have forgiven them because I know that their bondage is greater than mine. Jesus has set me free.

Sometimes I sing softly as I work in the fields. I can still hear Mi-kyoung’s voice as she echoes a beautiful song. Once in a while, I will see the kind guard. He stands sentry as I pick corn and wheat; his smile is dazzling. To be honest, I am not sure if he is truly there or if he exists only in my imagination. But seeing him in the distance makes me happy; the memories of his kindness bring joy.

I no longer think of escaping; I am resigned to the probability that I will live out all my days here in prison. I know that my Jesus has a reason for me to live...I am certain that I must tell others about Him. I have no fear, only peace.

In closing, I give thanks to my dear mother...in your silent ways you taught me so much, I love you for this. I look forward to seeing you...to hold your hand...together with Jesus at our side.